What have you watched April 2019? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

RAMSEY CAMPBELL » Discussion » What have you watched April 2019? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tony (Tony)
Username: Tony

Posted From: 86.137.109.102
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 12:41 am:   

Avengers Endgame. I mention it because it begins so well, with such an evocation of a sad, quiet world it gave me pause for thought. I've never seen a film about a depleted population done so well. No monsters, quiet, a sense of pointlessness. It felt nice to me, like here, but the sadness was tangible. It is here, too, because in many ways this place IS pretty mournful even while celebrating what can be good about life. It's just it is making us feel the past is better.
The rest of the movie is a blur. Everyone has superpowers, but to quote an Incredibles character, when everyone has powers, no-one has, and it stops being amazing. The acting is great, the ideas are great, even the ending is moving, but it's familiar, and it's a downer that feels.like a key coffin nail for superhero movies.

Protodroid (Protodroid)
Username: Protodroid

Posted From: 213.233.132.181
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 03:45 pm:   

I haven't seen the last few Marvel films, so I can't comment. But I do hope it's the end of them. Not that I hate superhero films, just their current ubiquity.

Tony (Tony)

Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 04:15 pm:   

I can't see them going anywhere after this. I think they did many admirable things, but yes, they took over -and it even harmed them.

Tony (Tony)

Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 01:01 pm:   

I watched The Invitation! I thought it was OK. A bit netflixy. I could see what was coming. I think I preferred a similar film, The Gift, with Nigel Slater.
Christian Slater. Oh, him off Teenwolf 2.

Protodroid (Protodroid)

Posted From: 89.19.67.205
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 04:54 pm:   

Yes, a little Netflixy. It illustrates Jung's idea that all psychosis is a refusal to face legitimate pain. And that ending, and the political implications...

Tony (Tony)

Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 05:06 pm:   

Yes! I call it The Smoke Alarm. You live with it or deal with it. I told my psychiatrist this and he was so impressed he asked if he could use it. I was well chuffed.
My visits didn't help me, though. :-(

Craig (Craig)
Username: Craig

Posted From: 99.153.254.41
Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 06:00 pm:   

I really dug The Invitation, but they did kind of drag out the tension perhaps a bit too long. So The Gift is similar, but better? Well, then, I must see it!

So I take it, Tony, you felt the same about Endgame, as I felt after watching Cabin in the Woods? I initially thought... well, that's it for horror films! Where do you go from there? But I was quite wrong, as the years since prove (and Cabin doesn't wear well, in my memory).

Superheroes are today's Westerns. The popularity of Westerns in film beggars the level of today's superhero obsession... and look at how utterly that genre faded away in time. The same is coming. What's coming, is the great loathing, the resistance to the "Tyranny of the Screens." It will be accompanied by a whole new avenue of technological innovation - we have been so (deliberately, maliciously) controlled by the Screen Tyrants - cell phone manufacturers/providers, social media companies, media conglomerates in general, etc. All those entities that want us riveted to our screens as slaves, so they can keep their filthy lucre coming. It's turned toxic, long since. But the great loathing is coming... hmm, all of this somehow seems metaphorical, re: Invitation... kinda?...

Tony (Tony)

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 08:20 pm:   

Yes, Spielberg said that. But you know, there were some GREAT westerns, and the oeuvre was incredibly broad. In fact, many recent ones are still excellent. Have you seen the recent Cohen brothers one? It's frankly sublime. But...these things are cyclical. And this feels like time for a breather.

Protodroid (Protodroid)

Posted From: 89.19.67.97
Posted on Friday, May 03, 2019 - 01:32 am:   

I'm stuck with loving the cinema, it's part of me. I hope we can still enjoy it without utterly rejecting it.

Tony (Tony)

Posted on Friday, May 03, 2019 - 07:08 am:   

I sometimes think I eat films, that I love in the restaurant. I have to watch a film a day. But sometimes I do think I need a break, to find them new again.
A sad thing; I bought a huge tv at Christmas. It was a thing of wonder. But...it's small again, ordinary aized, and the wonder has vanished.

Tony (Tony)

Posted on Friday, May 03, 2019 - 10:17 am:   

LIVE in the restaurant. God, we never used to have these problems before...

Tony (Tony)

Posted on Friday, May 03, 2019 - 10:18 am:   

Sized. :/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration